Why are we doing this?
It’s hard to say at the moment whether 2017 is a critical year or not for the VR/AR industry. We do know that for any company, startup or established, driving interest, and generating revenue is always of paramount importance.
Further, AR/VR is not mainstream yet. It’s getting closer. But, you’ll be hard pressed to find anyone that has had a high-end VR experience with the Microsoft HoloLens, the Oculus Rift, or the HTC Vive.
We want to help to change that. And so, we decided to put a stake in the ground and designate Saturday, November 18th, 2017 as a global Virtual Reality Day.
We chose this day because it’s the last Saturday before Black Friday, and the start of the holiday shopping season. It’s also a day when most students, grade, high school and college are still in school before their Thanksgiving break. Also, by having it on the weekend, it allows parents to bring their children.
We’d like to encourage individuals and groups to organize a free public VR event on this day on any topic you like. It could be introducing VR for the first time to people, or focused on a vertical topic of your choice, with the goal to educate and inform.
We have close to 20 different organizations, ranging from small startups to university VR/AR clubs, actively organizing public events for that day.
This is a completely voluntary and grassroots effort. It’s about bringing the energies and interests of the greater community together, and focusing that energy for the benefit of everyone on one special day.
Reach out and work with us to make this an event that benefits you, the public, and the greater VR/AR industry as a whole.
Need help finding a venue?
Reach out to your local VR/AR Meetup group, or other startups in the area, and work together to find a venue.
Partner with your local coffee shop, and setup your VR rig there for the day.
You could consider reaching out to your local Microsoft or Apple Store, Best Buy, etc., and organizing a special educational event with them for that day. Why wouldn’t they want some local help and support to drive extra foot traffic and interest that day?
How are we going to get the word out?
1) We’ll be putting out a press release promoting Virtual Reality Day on Monday, November 13th, informing the public to make plans to attend an event near them.
2) For every event that has been scheduled by Monday, November 13th, we’ll be reaching out to the local media in your city to cover the event.
3) During the week before, we will also reach out to the public school systems where events are taking place, informing them to ask teachers to make announcements in their classrooms. We will also inform the local surrounding parent/teacher associations (PTAs).
4) We’ll be running a large social media campaign for the entire week leading up to November 18th.
5) We’ll be scheduling live video check-in remotes with all the events on that day to have them share what they’re doing locally with the larger global internet community.
Other Ideas To Help Promote Virtual Reality Day
We’re actively working with hardware and software vendors, as well as VR arcades to offer and promote a special for that day only.
Consider offering your game or application at 50% just for the day.
Offer a special discount for your hardware product to be used online on that day.
If you run a VR arcade, provide 50% off to all walk-in customers that day.